A chemical peel is skin treatment that will smooth and improve the look and feel of skin. The chemical solution will remove the top layer of skin so the dead
A chemical peel is skin treatment that will smooth and improve the look and feel of skin. The chemical solution will remove the top layer of skin so the dead surface will peel off, leading to new skin growth. The new skin is usually smoother, healthier, and less wrinkled compared to the old skin. An aesthetic professional should always perform chemical peels.
There are three different kinds of chemical peels superficial, medium, and deep. The peels are categorized by the strength of solution used and how deeply it penetrates the skin. The deeper the peel, the further penetrates the skin and the longer the recovery time.
Superficial chemical peels are a great option for many people because they are much more gentle, require no pain relief, and can be used on most skin types with little to no recovery time.
Medium and deep peels can’t be used on darker skin tones and may take a few weeks for the skin to recover from the effects of peeling, inflammation and redness.
Chemical Peels can be used to treat several skin issues, including:
- Acne: Superficial chemical peels exfoliate the skin, this allows dead skin cells to be removed easily, and excess oils on the skin are also removed. This will unblock hair follicles and pores and reduce the appearance of pimples. It will also improve skin texture.
- Reduce fine lines and wrinkles: Chemical peels can reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles especially under the eyes and around the mouth.
- Rough skin texture: Chemical peels can improve skin texture by increasing the amount of collagen in the upper layer of skin.
- Lentigines (large freckles), liver spots, or age spots: A chemical peel can lighten the appearance of large freckles caused by sun exposure, liver spots, or age spots.
- Melasma: Melasma is a dark skin discoloration, which appears as patches peels can lighten the look of the discolored skin.
- Hyperpigmentation: Hyperpigmentation is caused by excess skin pigment in the skin, which can result in uneven skin tone. Chemical peels can lighten the appearance of the skin.